For the last several years, one of the biggest things we have been attempting to do at Eagle Pointe is to “change the way people think about church“. You might be wondering: “WHY would we want to change the way people think about church?” Well, most people in our world who don’t go to church aren’t necessarily turned off from God. They’re turned off from church! They’re turned off from Christians! Why? When many people think about church and Christians they think of words like:
- After my money
SO when we re-started Eagle Pointe, one of our primary goals was to “Change the way people think about church” – because if we change the way they think about church, we can change the way they think about Jesus! We can help them see that Jesus is incredibly relevant to their lives today – and that having a relationship with Him is a whole lot more simple, fun, rewarding, and fulfilling than they could ever imagine!
Changing the way people think about church is our motivation behind our:
- Casual, Contemporary, & highly Relational Atmosphere
- Great music people can relate to
- Dramas with a sense of humor that connect with the heart and mind
- Messages that are relevant, understandable, and that help people Monday thru Saturday – not just on Sunday
- Fun & Engaging children’s and teen environments
- REAL people doing REAL life!
If you haven’t been into church for a while – PLEASE give it another shot at Eagle Pointe. We’ll change the way you think about church!
That’s my story – how about you? One invite really did change my life! Well, it was actually one person inviting me a whole bunch of times to his church until I finally gave in! THANK GOD my buddy Garland Robertson cared enough about me that he didn’t give up on me. I knew Garland for many years, but we had lost touch for a period of our lives. Then one day we ran into each other at a University of Miami football game. We both had season tickets & his were a few rows behind me.
At every football game we would catch up, talk about life, and at some point in the discussion he would work into the conversation something cool that his church was doing & invite me to come check it out. I was always polite about it – but would always blow off his invites. If you look up the word “determination” – there will be a picture of Garland there. He never gave up on me! For 2 years, every time he saw me, he would invite me. He was never pushy or obnoxious about it – he was just determined! He cared enough about me, my life, my family & where I was going to spend eternity – that he wouldn’t give up.
Finally, one day when I was at a place in my life where I was ready – I said “yes”! My life has never been the same since! Thanks Gar & Thanks Jesus – for caring enough about me & not giving up on me.
Easter Sunday (April 20) is the greatest God-given opportunity of the year for you to reach out to & invite people to Eagle Pointe! Don’t waste this God-given opportunity!
Now, here are a few things I challenge you to join me in doing these 2 weeks leading up to Easter:
1) PRAY & FAST! – Let’s unleash the power of prayer! Pray for your friends, our community, our church, our Easter services & for CHANGED LIVES!!! (If you want to learn more about Fasting – check out “Fasting for Spiritual Breakthrough“.
2) EXPECT! Expect God to show up & do the miraculous. Let’s add a big-time dose of faith to our prayers & let’s do our part! Let’s give God some actions (on our part) that He can bless!
3) INVITE, INVITE, INVITE! Go stark raving crazy these next 2 weeks inviting everyone God brings across your path – friends, neighbors, co-workers… If you need more “Easter at Eagle Pointe” invite cards drop by the church & get them. The reality is that most people want to be, or feel like they should, be in church on Easter — so let’s help them out with that! (Check out a recent blog post “Fun Ways to Invite People to Church“)
4) FIRE UP YOUR FACEBOOK! Get on my Facebook page or our Eagle Pointe Facebook page & start sharing the invites & videos we have to promote “Easter at Eagle Pointe”. Change your Facebook profile pic to our Easter profile pic. BTW: It’s working! Since we started our Facebook campaign 2 weeks ago – the number of people who are seeing something about Eagle Pointe & our Easter services have been mind-blowing. So, help us blow up Facebook these next 2 weeks by inviting all your Facebook friends.
5) BE HERE, SERVE & DO WHATEVER IT TAKES! Arrive early & help out in any way you can! We need a number of you to go to our 9:00AM, 12:00pm, & 5:30pm services to make room in our 10:30 service. Please help us pack out our 2 back gravel lots & car pool with family & friends. We need to free up some seating & parking this Easter! As with every weekend at Eagle Pointe – EVERYONE is on Host Team on Easter! You see something that needs picked up – a bathroom that needs restocked – just do it! You see people looking unsure of where they’re going – introduce yourself & show them around. You see people sitting by themselves – go sit with them & make them feel comfortable.
Again, join us in doing WHATEVER IT TAKES to reach our community for Jesus this Easter!
PS. I wonder who will be doing 1 of our “One Invite Changed My Life” videos someday because you cared enough to invite them???
***CHECK OUT OUR PROMO VIDEO FOR EASTER AT EAGLE POINTE…
April 7, 2014 | Categories: Church Life, Leadership, ministry, Personal Life, Relationships, Serve The World, Social Media, Spiritual growth | Tags: Acworth, Appreciation, Atlanta, blogging, blogs, celebration, Christianity, church, compassion, Easter, evangelism, facebook, faith, God, helping others, Holidays, internet, invite people to church, Jesus, Kennesaw, love, mercy, Ministry, mission, missions, servant evangelism, serve, serving, Social Media, technology | Leave a comment
Jesus said “GO & make disciples…”. He said “I will build my church…”. One of the primary reasons Eagle Pointe church exists is to live out & share the gospel, to reach our community where 90% of the people do not go to church, & to be used by Jesus to bring about “changed lives”. However, that cannot happen until people come & continue coming to an environment where Jesus can work in their lives. So, us inviting people to our church is absolutely essential to us fulfilling a HUGE part of our core mission. To that end, here are some great ways you can invite people to Eagle Pointe church. Look over this, pray about it, talk with your life group and friends, have some fun, & just do it!
BTW: The biggest GOD-SIZED opportunity of the year to invite people to church is coming up in 3 weeks on Easter Sunday. I HATE wasting God-given & God-sized opportunities! I’m challenging every individual in our church to do WHATEVER IT TAKES to bring AT LEAST 2 people with them to our Easter Sunday services. So, let’s get after it, let’s do this thing, & let’s allow God to use us to impact our community for Him this Easter!
- Grill out for the employees of a local company or business.
- Host a block party in your neighborhood, get to know your neighbors, & invite them to church.
- Tailgate at high school and/or local sporting events, ballfields, etc. Give away hot dogs and invite people.
- Always keep some invite cards on you & give them to your waitress, checkout person at a store, person standing behind you in line, etc.
- Cookout at a local park & give away hot dogs and/or bottled water.
- Borrow our popcorn machine & giveaway popcorn & invite cards at a movie rental store.
- Provide “full service” at a local gas station – wash windows, pump gas, and leave a car freshener.
- Put out road signs on the weekend (did you know about 40% of people who attend our church for the first time do so because they saw a road sign?)
- Follow me on Facebook & Twitter, and/or Eagle Pointe on Facebook – & share postings, videos, etc with your friends.
- Help local schools with their festivals. Instead of re-creating the wheel, just help a school make their event better.
- Take a couple of hours and put out invite cards on mailboxes in your neighborhood.
- Go to local shopping centers & put invite cards on car windshields. Try not to get arrested…that keeps it fun!
- Coach or help out with a local kids sports team. Build relationships with families & invite.
- You and your kids set up a lemonade stand.
- Have a free garage sale…give away things and invite people to church.
- Do a free car wash.
- Go around a neighborhood and collect canned food. Invite people to church while asking for food.
- Hand out helium balloons at special events. We have a helium tank you can use.
- Set up a bounce house at the movie theater when a big kids movie premiers. Or in front of another store. Managers are often open to anything that draws attention to their store.
- Put a giant Eagle Pointe sign in the back of your truck. Politicians do it – our cause is way more important!
- Take breakfast to school teachers. Simply email the principal and ask if you can do it, set a day, and make it happen.
- Help with field days at a local elementary school. What school wouldn’t appreciate volunteers?
- Take food to fire stations. Let them know you appreciate them and that they are always welcome at your church.
Better yet… come up with your own idea, get your friends or group/team involved, and make it happen. Let us know what you’re doing & how we can help! ***BTW: Your friends, neighbors, & co-workers are the easiest of all to invite because you already have a personal relationship with them.
April 3, 2014 | Categories: Church Life, Faith In Action, ministry, Personal Life, Relationships, Social Media, Spiritual growth | Tags: Acworth, Appreciation, Atlanta, blogging, blogs, celebration, Christianity, church, compassion, Easter, evangelism, facebook, faith, God, help, helping others, Holidays, internet, invite people to church, Jesus, Kennesaw, Ministry, servant evangelism, serve, serving, Social Media, technology, twitter, Volunteer, Volunteers | 1 Comment
In case you haven’t heard – we are launching a 3rd service time/worship experience here at Eagle Pointe & I am beyond pumped about this!
Since January we’ve been talking about the need to add a 3rd service time here at Eagle Pointe. And as I shared at Momentum on Jan. 26th (if you missed it – watch it here), I said that we needed to add about another 60 adults to make this work. Meaning – we didn’t want to have 1 service with only 50 people & not much energy in it & we needed more people to volunteer & attend a 3rd service.
Well, we have added those 60 more adults. Both of our Sunday morning services are getting uncomfortably crowded, our Children’s ministry growing very fast, and we are maxing out our facility’s capacity. (Which will very soon hurt our retention of guests). So, after a lot of talks, prayer, fasting, & planning over the month or so with our staff & ministry leaders, we have made the decision to step out in faith & launch our 3rd service.
I will confess to you that as the leader/pastor of this amazing church family, I feel the weight & responsibility that comes with every decision we make. I will also confess to you that I struggled a little with this decision (Yes – I am human). I was a bit worried about making this decision prematurely, what if it doesn’t work, do we have enough volunteers, etc. I also know that we sometimes have waited too long in the past to make a decision & that delay has caused us to lose the momentum God was building.
As I was praying about & wrestling with this decision – God reminded me that the results aren’t up to me (I/we just have to do our part, give God actions He can bless, & be obedient to Him). During a recent staff meeting, I did not share what I was thinking/feeling, I just asked each of them to share what they were thinking/feeling/sensing about all of this. To my surprise, every one of our staff members said we needed to go to 3 services quickly. They acknowledged that yes it would be more work, require us to recruit & train more volunteers, & that it would be a challenge – but that with all the people & families coming to & getting connected here at Eagle Pointe, that we could not afford to wait any longer. I LOVE OUR STAFF!
So, next Sunday March 16th we will launch our 3rd service time. It will be at 5:30PM on Sunday evenings. This will also coincide with the kick-off of our next teaching series “Full Throttle” (appropriate series for stepping out in faith in God’s direction). I’ve been encouraged to hear from a number of people who were excited about this. In addition to freeing up space on Sunday mornings, I am very excited about the potential for us to reach another demographic of people who Sunday mornings are just not an option for. A lot of people in retail, restaurants, medical, etc either work too late on Saturdays or work on Sunday mornings. This Sunday evening service will be a great vehicle for us to reach out to these people & share with them about Jesus.
PS. I can tell you that families with young children will LOVE Sunday evenings. 5:30PM is late enough for families to enjoy Sunday afternoon activities & it is early enough to get the kids in bed at a reasonable time before school the next day. Also, once these families figure out how much easier it is to get kids who are already up & about to a 5:30PM service, rather than fighting to get kids up, dressed, & fed in time to get to church in the morning – they will never do morning church again ;-)
Now, here’s what I need your help with:
1) We need you to talk this up in your groups & teams. Your groups/teams will take on the same attitude you have about this. Will it require extra work for some of us? Yes! Especially for our staff & I. But as Tim Roman said in our staff meeting – “It’s only 1 stinkin’ extra hour a week in order to reach a whole bunch more people for Jesus! I think in light of what Jesus did for us, that we can do this for Him!” I LOVE TIM! I encourage you have & share Tim’s attitude as we communicate with & get our church family involved with this.
2) We need more of you to jump in & serve in a minstry & we will need some of you to “double-dip”. We will need people for the first 2 or 3 months to come back & just serve & help us get this Sunday evening service off to a great start. If you can help with this, please email Tim Roman. (BTW: Some of our greatest needs right now are Children’s ministry, Ushers, & Parking team. Please help us encourage people to sign up!)
3) Join us in praying for this endeavor – praying that God would use it & bless it in order to reach a whole bunch more people for Him.
4) Go crazy inviting! Go out of your way to “run into” people who Sunday evening may appeal to & invite them to come on March 16th & beyond. We have invite cards available in the cafe. We have a lot of stuff on social media to share with people. We also will have new roadsigns available this Sunday for you to help us get out into our community. Let’s do our part & allow God to use us to pack all 3 services next Sunday March 16 & beyond.
Well, that enough info for now. In the meantime, do not hesitate to contact me or any of our staff if you have any questions.
THANK YOU for being on this wild, crazy, God-sized adventure with me! THANK YOU for having a heart that is all about Loving God, Loving Others, & Serving the World. THANK YOU for having a WHATEVER IT TAKES heart & attitude. I am really excited about what God has in store for us.
Let’s do this!!!
March 6, 2014 | Categories: Church Life, faith, Leadership, ministry, Social Media | Tags: Acworth, Appreciation, Atlanta, blogging, blogs, Christianity, church, evangelism, facebook, faith, God, invite people to church, Jesus, Kennesaw, love, Ministry, mission, missions, servant evangelism, serve, serving, Social Media, technology, twitter, Volunteer, Volunteers | Leave a comment
We will have a mission team heading back to Haiti February 22 – March 1. We will run a free clinic for the week seeing 400+ families a day. We will also be providing medical care at 2 orphanages & 2 tent cities that we work with. In addition, we will be doing some construction projects at a local church, as well as, building homes around the local community. And we need your help to pull this off!
Below is a list of supplies needed & a list of the money for projects we need to fundraise. PLEASE help us round up these supplies & donations. We need supplies dropped off at Eagle Pointe by this Wed. Feb. 20th – we are packing everything up that evening.
If you are unable to bring items to Eagle Pointe – again, donations of money are definitely needed (we will be buying a lot of needed supplies in Haiti – easier than carrying it all & supports the local economy). You can donate online HERE (be sure to select “Haiti”) or email me.
Money – fundraised: (This is what is left to be raised before we go)
- $1000 – medical supplies for free clinic we run while there.
- $1000 – building materials for homes (purchased in Haiti)
- Tooth paste
- Small toys, dolls, etc to giveaway to children (LOTS of small items are easier to pack in suitcases & can cover more kids – ‘happy meal size’ is ideal)
- Candy to giveaway to children (lg bags of smaller pieces)
- Reading glasses (varying strengths)
Medical Items: (Donations to help purchase these are greatly needed as well)
- Anti-fungal medicine (Lotrimin or other otc athletes foot meds)
- Permethrin 5%
- Benadryl (tabs & children’s liquid)
- Ibuprofen (adult and children’s liquid)
- Acetaminophen (adult and children’s liquid)
- Antibiotics by prescription (Amoxicillin, Keflex, Bactrim, Ciprofloxacin, Augmentin, etc)
- Mebendazole by prescription
- Antibiotic eye drops – by prescription
- Visine and Visine allergy
- Albuterol inhaler by prescription
Please help us make a difference in the lives of so many struggling people & families in Haiti & show them the real, practical, & tangible love of Jesus!
BTW: If you are unfamiliar with our work in Haiti – here is a glimpse of just some of what all we do…
February 18, 2014 | Categories: Missions - Local & Global, Serve The World, Social Media | Tags: Acworth, Appreciation, Atlanta, blogging, blogs, celebration, Christianity, church, compassion, disaster, disaster relief, earthquake, evangelism, facebook, faith, God, help, helping others, humanitarian aid, internet, invite people to church, Jesus, Kennesaw, love, mercy, Ministry, mission, missions, servant evangelism, serve, serving, social justice, Social Media, suffering, technology, twitter, Volunteer, Volunteers | Leave a comment
God is just showing off now! This has been gradually building over the last several months, but especially for the last 2 months our Connections pastor Tim Roman and I have been looking at each other & saying “Wow!” & “Oh my!”. We have had so many new people & families coming to Eagle Pointe in these last 2 months. And not just attending on Sundays, but getting in Life Groups & serving on ministry teams – IT’S BEEN CRAZY! And it doesn’t show any signs of letting up – if anything – this ride appears to be speeding up – “GO GOD!!!”
2 weeks ago at Momentum, our gathering of leaders & volunteers, I shared how we needed to launch a 3rd service time. I also shared how we needed to grow by about 60 more people to make that move effective for the sake of having more volunteers, having enough people in each service that we don’t don’t lose energy, etc. WELL – yesterday we had those 60 more people show up at Eagle Pointe! In fact, here is what I posted on my Facebook & Twitter yesterday – “LOVE when God shows up & shows off! Mind blowing kick off of our “Improving Your Love Life” series today. Music was incredible, message connected, & had our highest non-holiday attendance ever. GO GOD & Go Eagle Pointe’rs!!!”
What God is doing here at Eagle Pointe is so special, so rare, and so big that there’s not a doubt in any of our minds as to Who is doing this. I believe that God is blessing our hearts, motivations, focus, and hard work in a huge way – & I am very grateful for that.
However, with these blessings comes a lot of things that we have to figure out. How can we be good stewards of the people/souls that God is entrusting to us? How do we structure our church and ministries to handle what God is doing here? Not just how do we handle what happened last Sunday – but how do we handle this movement of God in 6 months & a year or 2 down the road?
But there’s also immediate concerns – how soon do we launch our 3rd service time? How fast can we expand our worship area? What’s the right way to expand? What can we afford to do? What can we do & how fast can we do it? There’s probably 42 questions along these lines that need to be answered. What staff will we need & how soon will we need them? How can our Ministry Leaders & Lay Ministers handle all of this? How can we raise up more leaders quickly? How do we help our people to spiritually, mentally, & emotionally handle all of these changes & the speed in which God is doing it? How do we help people understand that the vast majority of Christians will go their entire lives without God ever allowing them to be a part of anything remotely close to what He is doing here?
As I hope you can see – it is a lot to figure out. But as my buddy Tim Meade used to say – “These are high class problems!” As opposed to a few years ago when we were on our knees praying for God to keep the doors of our church open another month.
Now, while we are figuring out how/when to launch a 3rd service – here are a few things we really need our entire Eagle Pointe family helping us with right away: (BTW: 3rd service will most likely be on Sunday evenings)
1) Sit towards the front, move in to the middle of seating sections, etc. Help us fit everyone in & make it easier for people to find seats. You don’t have to sit on an aisle seat & you don’t need a seat or 2 buffer between you & the person next to you. Please be mindful of people trying to find a seat & help them out.
2) Don’t block our cafe & hallways. Let people be able to get in & find where they are going. Move your converstaions into the worship area or outside. Don’t be a human barricade!
3) Volunteer to serve on a ministry team. We need a lot more help in our parking lot, with greeters/hosts/guides, ushering in the worship area, & in our CHILDREN’S MINISTRY working with babies & children. (Our children’s ministry is growing like crazy & needs more adult/teen volunteers)
4) Park in our back lots. Yes – we have more parking around the back sides of our facility. If you are serving and/or a regular here at Eagle Pointe – please help us fill up these back lots first. Let’s leave the front/easiest to find parking spots for our guests & newer folks. (BTW: I try to always lead by example – so you will see my vehicle in the last/furthest back spot)
5) Everyone is on Host Team every Sunday! Even if you are not officially on our host/greeter team – we count on you to help us welcome everyone, help them find there way, introduce them around to others, etc. Keep an eye out for people sitting/standing by themselves. Act every Sunday, as you would if you were hosting a party at your home.
I share all of this with you to help you, as my church family, to see the challenges that are before us. As the lead pastor I grasp and feel the weight and responsibility that comes with God blessing in this way – which is why I am currently fasting & praying for God’s wisdom & guidance. Please pray for me during this time & join me in praying for God to show all of us the way. LET’S DO THIS!!! Let’s give God actions He will use & bless! And then – buckle up & hold on! It’s going to be a wild & amazing ride!
February 10, 2014 | Categories: Leadership, Relationships, Serve The World, Social Media | Tags: Acworth, Appreciation, Atlanta, blogging, blogs, celebration, Christianity, church, compassion, evangelism, facebook, faith, God, help, helping others, internet, invite people to church, Jesus, Kennesaw, Ministry, servant evangelism, serve, serving, Social Media, technology, twitter, Volunteer, Volunteers | Leave a comment
Many of you know that as part of our Haiti Mission Trip, we run a Free Medical Clinic which sees approx. 400 patients a day, as well as, going mobile & providing healthcare at area orphanages & tent cities. We serve in an area where the average family lives on less than $2 US a day & we are blessed to have medical professionals who donate their time to serve as part of our team. However, the medical supplies needed to provide all of this free medical care is quite expensive.
In addition to the donations of money, general supplies, etc that I posted about a couple days ago (Click Here to View)…
Here is a PDF document showing all of the medical supplies (prescription & over the counter) we need as well - Haiti Medical Supplies to Order. If you or someone you know works with a medical supply company, please review this list & see if you are able to donate any of these items. Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated!
***NOTE: We do have to order supplies next week, in order to have them in time for our trip. So, please let me know right away if you are able to assist us.
If you are not familiar with the work we are doing, below is a short video you can view. Also, if you are interested on joining us on one of these trips, send me an email.
January 10, 2014 | Categories: Faith In Action, Haiti, Missions - Local & Global, Serve The World, Social Media | Tags: Acworth, Atlanta, blogging, Christianity, church, compassion, disaster, disaster relief, earthquake, evangelism, facebook, faith, God, Haiti, help, helping others, humanitarian aid, internet, invite people to church, Jesus, Kennesaw, love, mercy, Ministry, mission, missions, servant evangelism, serve, serving, social justice, Social Media, suffering, technology, Volunteer, Volunteers | Leave a comment