Social Media, Jesus, & His Church (Part 1)
I encourage you to take 4 minutes & watch this video before reading this post…
The world we live in is changing very rapidly! There is a fundamental shift taking place in how we as a society communicate, meet people, build relationships, get our news, purchase things – just about every aspect of our lives is dramatically changing – because of technology. In case you’ve had your head buried in the sand these last few years and haven’t noticed, we live in a very different world than we did just a few short years ago – and it’s changing more every day.
Sadly, most Christians & Churches have been “left in the dust” by the world around us. They look back on us as though we are still chiseling away on stone tablets. Most Churches & Christians have become completely irrelevent to the society in which we live. As @tonymorganlive said – “We’re trying to preach the gospel, but we’re using language & methods that don’t connect with the culture we’re trying to reach. It’s like we’re standing on the street corner yelling at cars as they pass by. They look curiously at us for a split second, but they can’t hear us because they’re already down the road.”
Think about it – when the printing press was invented it was “the church” that leveraged this latest technological advance to spread God’s word and it ushered in the Reformation. Now, Christians & Churches treat new technologies as threats – rather than embrace & leverage their potential. I believe that for the 1st time in history – we have the potential to fulfill the Great Commission in our lifetime. Technology will actually make it possible for us to share the Good News of Jesus Christ with every person on the planet. We should be jumping up & down celebrating the possibilities! I’ll talk more about the amazing possibilities in Part 2 of this series (stay tuned).
While I am fairly up to date on technological advances, I still have a ways to go. I view myself as just enough of a “tech geek” to be dangerous. Let me give you a little glimpse into my world…
- I think I bought 1 audio CD about a year ago – I download all of my music from itunes & amazon to my IPod.
- I mostly listen to audio books that I’ve downloaded from audible.com or amazon on my IPod while I’m at the gym.
- I share music with friends on blip.fm
- I watch movies & TV shows on hulu.com
- I share videos with the world on Vimeo & You Tube
- I have friends on Twitter & Facebook all over the world who know more about me than most people I see weekly in person
And the best part is – I am able to do most all of this – on the go – with my Blackberry & IPod! Go back & re-watch the video above – technology is changing everything – & changing it very quickly! I believe that we as Christians & Churches only have 2 choices…
1) We can turn our backs on this dramatic transformation of our world by technology – and as a result both us & our message will continue to become more & more irrelevent.
2) We can embrace it, leverage it, & redeem it! We can use it to “GO… & make disciples” as Jesus told us to – or to “become all things to all people that I might lead some to Christ” as the Apostle Paul said.
Stay tuned – in Part 2 I will share how I believe we can embrace, leverage, & redeem technology in some very simple & practical ways to to make a huge impact in our world for Jesus!
This entry was posted on August 25, 2009 by Howard J Koepka. It was filed under Church Life, Leadership, Personal Life and was tagged with blogs, Christianity, church, evangelism, facebook, faith, God, internet, Jesus, Social Media, technology, twitter.