Halloween – Church – What’s the Deal???
Being that we have so many people coming to Eagle Pointe from all different church backgrounds & no church backgrounds – I get asked quite often around this time of year – “What is your’s & the church’s view of Halloween?” This question comes up a lot especially since our church has a huge pumpkin patch we do as a fundraiser for kid’s & teen ministries. I always love this question because I never know what that person’s view is or how they will respond to my view.
So, here is my attempt at conveying our view of this…
1) Yes – Halloween started out thousands of years ago as a Celtic celebration steeped in witchcraft – but that certainly is not what 99% of people equate it with today. For most, it is an excuse to dress up, be silly, & have fun.
2) Did you know? Christmas started as a Nordic winter solstice celebration steeped in witchcraft as well – but we Christians “hijacked” it and used it to celebrate the birth of Christ. (which most scholars believe was actually around April)
3) I propose we (Christians) hijack Halloween!
4) Many of you know that I am ALL about reaching people who are disconnected from God & helping change the way they think about church – so with that in mind…
5) There is no other day of the year that almost every one of my neighbors are coming to my front door!!! SO – I’m camping out on my front porch with a huge bowl of candy, thermos of coffee for the adults, & invite cards to my church!!! Let the hijacking begin!
6) As for our Pumpkin Patch – besides being a great fundraiser for our Kid’s & Teen ministries – there is nothing our church could possibly do that would bring more people from our community onto our church property & give us the opportunity to meet & chat with them. In fact, we’re doing a big Family Fun Day on Halloween Day – costumes, candy, bounce houses, hay rides, the whole bit! There will be hundreds of people who come to this. Let the hijacking begin!
7) For me – Halloween is a great excuse for me to go pillage & plunder my neighborhood for candy with my kids!
BTW: Just wait until you see my costume I’ll be wearing at our Family Fun Day & Halloween night!
Oh yeah – 1 more thing – Trick or Treat?