Faith In Action Sunday – Heart & Attitude
If you missed any of the important Faith In Action Updates with all the info you need to know about this weekend’s day of serving our community, here are the links to them F.I.A. Update #1 & F.I.A. Update #2 – be sure to read them.
Today I want to briefly share a few things regarding the heart & attitude we all need to have when it comes to Faith in Action Sunday – or anytime we’re helping & serving our community & world in Jesus’ name. The reality is that this should be a lifestyle for all of us, not just a couple times a year kind of deal.
1) It’s not about me! I think most Eagle Pointe’rs get this idea. (This one of the many things I love about our church family). It’s not about my goals, my agenda, my feeling good, what I want, how I like & want things to be… It’s not about people seeing how wonderful & spiritual I am. It’s not about me! It is ALL about Jesus & those we are serving in His name!
2) Meeting physical needs opens the door to meeting spiritual needs. This is the model Jesus gave us & this is the model we follow with all of our local & global mission work. Jesus met real, practical, tangible needs & then had the opportunity to address their true #1 need. He healed the sick, made the lame walk, etc & THEN shared with them about the Kingdom of Heaven. He knew what he was doing! So long as people are starving, homeless, their kids are sick & dying, etc – they do not care about their spiritual needs. Meet those physical needs & then you have a platform to address the spiritual needs. As I often say, people do not care how much I know – until they first know how much I care.
3) Some things will NOT go as planned. Sorry – but that’s just the reality of mobilizing a few hundred volunteers & having them working at 6 different locations on the same day. As much as we plan, organize & strategize – some balls will get dropped, some details will be missed, some problems will arise & some things will not go exactly as we had thought & hoped for. So, WHEN that happens – just roll with it & help us make the best of it. Jump in, take some initiative & help your project coordinator quickly solve & move forward past the problem. BTW: That’s what leaders do – they don’t complain about problems – they solve them! Again, It’s not about me!
4) We “serve the world” in order to point people to Jesus. This is the bottom line. This is what it ALL boils down to. My challenge to you is that AFTER you have served & helped – AFTER you have shown that you truly care – do not be afraid to share with those people why you are doing this… “I love Jesus, Jesus says we are to love & help one another, & we are here demonstrating the love He has for you.” Ask people if you can pray for them. Let God work in their heart & give you an opportunity to point them toward Jesus.
5) Invite your friends to join you. This Faith in Action Sunday is a HUGE God-sized opportunity for you to invite your friends, neighbors, co-workers, etc to join you. Listen – even those who could give a rip about Jesus or church – like the idea of helping kids, single moms, homeless, etc. The idea of community service resonates with them – that’s the way God wired all of us up. Joining you this Sunday will give them the opportunity to meet & work alongside other Eagle Pointe’rs & see that these “church people” aren’t that weird ;-). (At least we’re weird in a good way – right?) This may be the very thing God uses to bring down their defensive wall enough that they would be willing to give church a try. So, get busy inviting people to join you for Faith in Action Sunday!
6) Our generosity involves more than just our time & effort. Due to us not having church services this Sunday – we will also not have any tithes & offerings coming in. However, we still have bills, ministries & missions to pay for & supplies for F.I.A. Sunday to provide. Please help us make up for it by going above & beyond the following Sunday July 31st! I also encourage you to take advantage of our Online Giving.
I am SO pumped & cannot stinkin’ wait for this Faith in Action Sunday! God is going to use all of us to make a difference in our community. God is going to change lives – the lives of those that we serve as well as our own lives.
I’ll be making the rounds to all of our location & I hope to see you out there this Sunday.
Oh yeah! BTW: We will have our New & Improved Faith in Action t-shirts at each location. If you ordered them – yours will be waiting for you. Arrive a little bit early so you have time to change & wear it while you’re serving.
This entry was posted on July 21, 2011 by Howard J Koepka. It was filed under Church Life, Faith In Action, ministry, Missions - Local & Global, Serve The World, Social Media, Spiritual growth and was tagged with Acworth, Appreciation, Atlanta, blogging, blogs, celebration, Christianity, church, compassion, evangelism, facebook, faith, God, help, helping others, humanitarian aid, internet, invite people to church, Jesus, Kennesaw, love, mercy, Ministry, mission, missions, servant evangelism, serve, serving, social justice, Social Media, technology, twitter, Volunteer, Volunteers.