Churches – Just Say ‘YES’ To Halloween… & Zombies!
Many of us have grown up hearing a very wide-range of views relating to Halloween – especially from Christians & Churches. Please take a minute & read this post & watch the videos below to see how we view & “use” Halloween, in some very fun ways, to reach people for Jesus.
Being that we have so many people coming to Eagle Pointe from all different church backgrounds & no church backgrounds – I get asked quite often around this time of year – “What is your’s & the church’s view of Halloween?” This question comes up a lot especially since our church does a huge pumpkin patch, as well as, student ministry costume party & an event for families in our community called “Trick-or-Treat Street”. I always love this question because I never know what that person’s view is or how they will respond to my view.
So, here is my attempt at conveying mine/our view of this…
1) Yes – Halloween started out thousands of years ago as a Celtic celebration steeped in witchcraft – but that certainly is not what 99% of people equate it with today. For most, it is an excuse to dress up, be silly, & have fun.
2) Did you know? Christmas started as a Nordic winter solstice celebration steeped in witchcraft as well – but we Christians “hijacked” it and used it to celebrate the birth of Christ. (which most scholars believe was actually around April)
3) I propose we (Christians) hijack Halloween!
4) Many of you know that I am ALL about reaching people who are disconnected from God & helping change the way they think about church – so with that in mind…
5) There is no other day of the year that almost every one of my neighbors are coming to my front door!!! (think about it) SO – I’m camping out on my front porch with a huge bowl of candy, thermos of coffee for the adults, & invite cards to my church!!! Let the hijacking begin!
6) As for our “Trick-or-Treat Street” – What a great opportunity to reach out to the families in our community, give them a great, fun, & safe family experience (they’re going trick-or-treating anyways), & let them know about what God is doing here at Eagle Pointe. We’ll have theme rooms set up, about 40 characters for kids & families to get their pictures taken with, & giving out A BUNCH of candy to the kids, & invites to church. For more info click here Trick-or-Treat Street & be sure to watch the 2 promo videos below. (BTW: Please donate bags of candy for this & if you can help with building theme rooms, promotion, etc email Lisa Skelly right away) Let the hijacking begin!
7) For me – Halloween is a great excuse for me to go pillage & plunder my neighborhood for candy with my kids!
BTW: Just wait until you see my costume I’ll be wearing at our “Trick-or-Treat Street” & Halloween night!
Oh yeah – 1 more thing – Trick or Treat? (Check out these videos below)
This entry was posted on October 25, 2012 by Howard J Koepka. It was filed under Church Life, Family Ministries, Leadership, Parenting, Personal Life, Relationships, Social Media and was tagged with Acworth, Atlanta, blogging, blogs, Christianity, compassion, evangelism, facebook, faith, God, Halloween, invite people to church, Jesus, party, servant evangelism, Social Media, Trick-or-Treat, twitter, Volunteer, Volunteers.