Random thoughts on Life, Leadership, & Messy Spirituality

Christians, Dumbasses & Politics

Let me first say that I have very strong political opinions. However, I work hard to abstain from sharing those opinions – be at from the stage at our church, via social, etc. I have been, as I believe all Christians have been, called to reach all people for Jesus – regardless of their political persuasion. I will go ahead and admit that this election did not turn out the way I had hoped.

Judging by all the posts on social media prior to the election, I expected there to be a great deal of very interesting posts the day after. Which is why posted the morning after – “Our response to the election reveals whether we trust God or man”.  However, I was quite surprised by not only the number of posts on social media, but by the type of posts the day after. Mean-spirited, angry, demonizing, and vitriol does not begin to describe what I saw.

I have friends via social media who are Christians, non-Christians, Democrats, Republicans, etc and they were all blasting out their personal election analysis. What was most disheartening to me – was seeing the posts from so many “christians”. By their responses you would’ve thought that the world was coming to an end, and that Barack Obama and the Democrats were in control of the future – rather than God.

The anger and hostility that was expressed towards “those people” who were “stupid enough”  (their words) to vote for Obama was just incredible. I saw “christians” calling Obama supporters ignorant, evil, dumbasses, and much worse. REALLY???

As I watched all of this on Twitter and Facebook I couldn’t help but wonder – what are non-Christians thinking as they see what so many  “christians” are posting on social media about the election??? It is no wonder why most non-Christians view  “christians”  as being a bunch of hypocrites.

WHERE IS THE LOVE, grace, and acceptance that Jesus modeled for us and that we are supposed to have toward others???

I am reminded of something Mahatma Gandhi said once – “I like your Jesus but I don’t like your Christians, your Christians are so unlike your Jesus”. And as I have said for years, “Christians have done more to hurt the cause of Christ (by their actions, attitudes, and words) than Satan could ever possibly dream of!”

Christians – PLEASE remember that a non-believing world is watching what we do, what we say, and how we respond in every situation! To be honest with you – if I were a non-Christian and I had been viewing Twitter and Facebook the day after the election, I WOULD WANT NOTHING TO DO WITH “CHRISTIANS“!

Here’s another thought: I wonder how differently our country might look if Christians were NEARLY as passionate about reaching people for Jesus — as they are politics? Just something to ponder.

Folks – Chill out! God is still sovereign and in control! This election did not come as a surprise to Him!  Why don’t you harness all that zeal, fervor, and passion you have for politics and use it over the next four years to reach people for Jesus and see what a difference it will make in our country!

Jesus’ “Great Commission” is FAR MORE IMPORTANT than any of us, any political party, any election, or even any country – including the USA! Let’s get and maintain the right priorities and focus!

Advertisements

11 responses

1. Cherie L'Archevesque Nelson

Well said..I completely agree with you and believe me..I definitely have my opinions about the election, however, we all must remember who is in charge here!

November 8, 2012 at 3:49 pm

2. John Soluri

I have to confess that before I started attending church again, I probably would have been one of those “Christians” that threw a temper tantrum because of those results. The election did not go the way I had hoped either and I was disappointed. However, my first thoughts after my initial shock were of God and his plan, and as you said, God already knew what was going to happen. Understanding that we are a part of God’s story instead of each our own has given me a completely different view of the world!

November 8, 2012 at 4:50 pm

3. In the perfect world, religion and politics should never get to close in my opinion. History has shown that that is not a good mix. HOWEVER, we do not live in the ‘perfect’ world and we are all “messed up”, some more than others.

All of us are infatuated with the daily struggles and details of life and all that it encompasses – the big picture unfortunately gets lost in all of that too often.

Thank you for reminding us that only the big picture really matters in the end. We all have to make sure we stay on the right (the righteous) path, living our lives with Jesus in mind and letting him show us the way.

November 8, 2012 at 4:57 pm

4. Suesundae

You have expressed my thoughts and feelings as well. I was more grieved by the “Christian” response than I was by election results. And I would like to add that our children are watching our responses. How do we expect to raise up a generation of children who follow Christ if we cannot model for them grace in the face a adversity. They are watching us as well.

November 8, 2012 at 8:45 pm

5. Jesus still the King,nevermind who is the president ,president dont own the nation,people ,only the King owns everything,people and Land ,the island and islets.thanks so much for the openers i should only trust to my King.

November 8, 2012 at 9:53 pm

6. Carol

I think christians should be careful who they align themselves with. Rush Limbough, Carl Rove, Donald Trump and the like are the figureheads for the party. Certainly not who I would call good christians. There is little tolerance in Georgia for differing opinions. You can see this when voting and most of the time there is only one political party to choose from. My husband was harassed and bullied at work because of who he voted for. Dosent this sound like something that would happen in a third world country? I think hypocracy is an understatement.

November 8, 2012 at 10:20 pm

7. Annette Jernigan

Have to agree with you almost verbatim! I’m a newcomer to the South and have been extremely surprised by the amount of bad behavior and Southern unhospitality that I have experienced and witnessed both in the workplace and even in a church I was recommended to that outwardly resembled the contemporary, non-traditional churrch that I was accustomed to before relocating to the South16 months ago but proved not to be friendly and accepting as I was led to believe. While I am not bitter fro the experiences. I am still shaken, disappointed and have no church home at the present. People don’t always understand how their words and actions

November 9, 2012 at 12:03 am

8. Tim

Good post pastor… All of your points are good ones, I’ve always loved what Gandhi said, I don’t think anyone has ever put it better. I think also that social media has made people more aggressive in how they express themselves. No excuse though if you consider yourself a Christian… The world is watching.

November 9, 2012 at 12:21 am

9. Great post, Howard!!!

November 9, 2012 at 12:29 am

10. Dan

100% right on! My mom and I had this same discussion – how great to know that the heart of the king is in the hand of the Lord. We KNOW He is still sovereign – His will (intentional or permissive) is not ours to fight or question, just rest knowing HE is in control! Thanks for setting a good example for our kids!

November 12, 2012 at 9:04 pm