Many of us have grown up hearing a very wide-range of views relating to Halloween – especially from Christians & Churches. Please take a minute & read this post & watch the videos below to see how we view & “use” Halloween, in some very fun ways, to reach people for Jesus.
Being that we have so many people coming to Eagle Pointe from all different church backgrounds & no church backgrounds – I get asked quite often around this time of year – “What is your’s & the church’s view of Halloween?” This question comes up a lot especially since our church does a huge pumpkin patch, as well as, student ministry costume party & an event for families in our community called “Trick-or-Treat Street”. I always love this question because I never know what that person’s view is or how they will respond to my view.
So, here is my attempt at conveying mine/our view of this…
1) Yes – Halloween started out thousands of years ago as a Celtic celebration steeped in witchcraft – but that certainly is not what 99% of people equate it with today. For most, it is an excuse to dress up, be silly, & have fun.
2) Did you know? Christmas started as a Nordic winter solstice celebration steeped in witchcraft as well – but we Christians “hijacked” it and used it to celebrate the birth of Christ. (which most scholars believe was actually around April)
3) I propose we (Christians) hijack Halloween!
4) Many of you know that I am ALL about reaching people who are disconnected from God & helping change the way they think about church – so with that in mind…
5) There is no other day of the year that almost every one of my neighbors are coming to my front door!!! (think about it) SO – I’m camping out on my front porch with a huge bowl of candy, thermos of coffee for the adults, & invite cards to my church!!! Let the hijacking begin!
6) As for our “Trick-or-Treat Street” – What a great opportunity to reach out to the families in our community, give them a great, fun, & safe family experience (they’re going trick-or-treating anyways), & let them know about what God is doing here at Eagle Pointe. We’ll have theme rooms set up, about 40 characters for kids & families to get their pictures taken with, & giving out A BUNCH of candy to the kids, & invites to church. For more info click here Trick-or-Treat Street & be sure to watch the 2 promo videos below. (BTW: Please donate bags of candy for this & if you can help with building theme rooms, promotion, etc email Lisa Skelly right away) Let the hijacking begin!
7) For me – Halloween is a great excuse for me to go pillage & plunder my neighborhood for candy with my kids!
BTW: Just wait until you see my costume I’ll be wearing at our “Trick-or-Treat Street” & Halloween night!
Oh yeah – 1 more thing – Trick or Treat? (Check out these videos below)
October 25, 2012 | Categories: Church Life, Family Ministries, Leadership, Parenting, Personal Life, Relationships, Social Media | Tags: Acworth, Atlanta, blogging, blogs, Christianity, compassion, evangelism, facebook, faith, God, Halloween, invite people to church, Jesus, party, servant evangelism, Social Media, Trick-or-Treat, twitter, Volunteer, Volunteers | 2 Comments